So...There's a New "Evangelion" Anime Coming Out...

 

(This is a screenshot from the announcement trailer to the so-far untitled upcoming Evangelion series written by Yoko Taro.) 
 
 
 
Well now that I finished my Cowboy Bebop (1998) review, I can finally write this post that I wanted to write two months ago, back in July. Even though is old news, and everyone's moved on until another trailer drops, or the title is revealed, or just get any new information about it, I still wanted to talk about this because hey, I like Evangelion. My only experience with Evangelion so far has been the Rebuild movies, which are divisive amongst fans, but I liked them. I liked all four of them. I haven't reviewed the first three, but I did review the fourth and final one, Evangelion 3.0+1.0: Thrice Upon a Time. The review is up on my blog right now if you want to go read it. I originally wrote it for DeviantART, but after I created this blog, I decided to repost it so that I would have stuff on here for people to read, and all of my old stuff from DeviantART would accessible to those don't want to go to DeviantART. 
 
Believe me, I can understand not wanting to go to DeviantART, especially not in its current state. The website's changed a lot since first joined back in 2013, and not for the better. The website's kind of unusable now, especially now that they've put a cap on the amount of deviations (that's what they refer to photos or pictures as on there) you can download for free to just 10 per week. If you want more downloads you have to pay for their premium membership, and frankly, I'm just not willing to pay. There just isn't enough of a recent to go back there that often, it's not like I have any friends on there anymore. They either left, or they're hardly active, and even if they are, they hardly talk to me, which is the case with Bry-Guy, the guy ♂︎ that not only got me into My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, the Snyderverse, and even The Loud House to a certain extent. 
 
Even though I got into The Loud House long after I stopped talking to him on a regular basis, or rather he stopped talking to me. we both stopped talking to each other. We weren't really the best of friends, we kind of talked at each other rather to each other if I know what I mean. And I grew out of My Little Pony too, I'm not a Brony anymore. I'm what they call an "ex-Brony." Just like Digipony/Digibro, only way less of an asshole. Digipony was his channel name when he was still a Brony, and Digibro was his channel name when he became an ex-Brony and shifted his content away from My Little Pony to doing anime instead. Digibro became AniTuber (a YouTuber who focuses exclusively on anime) after he left the My Little Pony fandom. But like I said, he's an asshole, I'm not. Or at least I hope I'm not, I try not to be πŸ˜…. I do have to thank Bry-Guy for convincing me to give Man of Steel and the other Snyderverse DC movies a second chance, that was the best decision I ever made. 
 
I found much greater joy in liking those movies instead of just blindly hating them like all the critics, and a good chunk of comic book movie fandom did and still does. It's because of them that the Snyderverse ended the way it did, the DCEU was brought to an end, and we're stuck with the current DCU run by James Gunn as head of the current DC Studios. Trying to be more like Marvel than ever before. Earning the respect and admiration of all the critics and comic book and comic book movie nerds who hated the Snyderverse, who hated Zack Snyder's take on the DC universe and those characters, and like James Gunn's take a lot more and believe it's more faithful. Even though neither of the DCU movies we've gotten so far, Superman (2025) and Supergirl (2026) were all that successful. 
 
They both performed well below expectations, with Superman (2025) failing to make $1 billion πŸ’΅ as some over zealous DCU and James Gunn fans though it would, or even just making $700 million πŸ’΅ or $800 million πŸ’΅, only making $618.7 million πŸ’΅ against a $225 million budget πŸ’΅. Less than what Man of Steel made, which was $670.1 million πŸ’΅ also against a $225 million budget πŸ’΅. Though the Wikipedia page for the movie also says that the budget was $225–258 million πŸ’΅, but the amount listed in the movie's stats is just $225 million πŸ’΅ definitively. They both had the same budget, but one made more money πŸ’΅ than the other, and it was the Zack Snyder one that made more money πŸ’΅ than the James Gunn one. While Supergirl (2025) was a straight up bomb πŸ’£, only making $126.4 million πŸ’΅ against a $170–186 million budget πŸ’΅, making it the single worst performing DC movie in years, and one of the worst performing comic book movies in history. 
 
It made less money πŸ’΅ than even Morbius (2022) did, and that was pretty big bomb πŸ’£ too, pulling in just $167.5 million πŸ’΅ against $75–83 million budget πŸ’΅. The movie had a much lower budget than I initially thought, I was under the impression that, like a lot of post-MCU superhero/comic book movies, it had budget somewhere at least in the $100 million πŸ’΅ range because superhero movies are expensive and studios typically pour a lot of money πŸ’΅ into them, especially ever since the MCU started and started making a ton of money πŸ’΅. More money πŸ’΅ than they or anyone else ever seen πŸ€‘. So they were more willing to spend a lot more on these movies than they had in the past. To the point where we got an Eternals movie and a Shang-Chi movie that cost about as much as an Avengers movie. Though the Avengers movies are so big now that they now cost somewhere in the $300–400 million range πŸ’΅. BTW if you want to know the budgets of Eternals and Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, their budgets were $236.2 million πŸ’΅ and $150–200 million πŸ’΅ respectively. But finding out that Morbius (2022) had a pretty modest budget by comic book movie standards ($75–83 million πŸ’΅ used to be considered a big budget a few decades ago, but it isn't anymore) was pretty shocking 🀯. Even if it did still ultimately bomb πŸ’£. 
 
The fact that Supergirl (2026) performed worse than that, and pulled in less money πŸ’΅ overall on a much larger budget, tells you everything you need to know in my opinion. Not even the hardcore DCU and James Gunn fan could spin this one. They couldn't polish a turd, which is what Supergirl (2026) and its box office were by all accounts. Even their streaming stuff isn't doing too hot either since Peacemaker Season 2 (the season that was set entirely in the new DCU, having it explained that Peacemaker enters an alternate universe while still retconning some details along the way) didn't pull in the viewership that they predicted or said that it did even though the numbers proved otherwise, and received much more mixed reviews compared to the first season. 
 
And their current Green Lantern series, simply called Lanterns has been pretty divisive amongst fans and critics, especially because of the controversial decision to kill off Hal Jordon, the definitive Green Lantern and the Green Lantern most people think of when they think of Green Lantern, in the first episode and having the show follow John Stewart for the rest of the series. I guess, it would be like if they did a Batman streaming show, and they killed off Bruce Wayne in the first episode, and then had Terry McGinnis from Batman Beyond be Batman from then on out. Their only well received show that wasn't divisive and didn't received mixed reviews was Creature Commandos, which was the first official thing in this current DCU, but even that has pretty low viewership. 
 
I don't agree with everything Daniel Dami Biu says, especially with his take that the Snyderverse will come back and the Paramount merger will be the ticket to it coming back, but I do agree with him when he said that it was a bad idea to start off this new DC cinematic universe focusing on obscure characters that barely anyone knows. Start off with the heavy hitters, the popular characters that almost everyone knows, and then do the obscure characters. For as much as they tried to more like Marvel, they sure didn't learn that from them. Sure, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, and Captain America πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ weren't super popular characters before the MCU started, the Hulk was, but Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ certainly weren't, but they were still more well known than Ant-Man or the Guardians of the Galaxy. 
 
If James Gunn were in charge of the MCU instead of Kevin Feige, he would've started off with the Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man. For all his faults, and believe he has many, Kevin Feige is still a better producer and studio executive than James Gunn will ever be. James Gunn should just stick to writing and directing, he seems to be way better at those. In most cases, if the criticisms levied against Superman (2025) are to be believed. I believe them because I rewatched Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 after I bought it on Blu-Ray πŸ’Ώ, and it did not hold up for me at all. I saw a lot more of the flaws in that movie the second time I watched it, at home, instead of the first time, which was in the theater. Watching that movie at home was a completely different experience for me than watching it in the theater. I wrote a review of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, you can go read it if you want. I talk about a lot of my feelings regarding the movie post-second viewing in the foreword of that review. 
 
Even though I've given up on superhero movies, and have no interests in watching superhero movies from here on out, I still like those movies, those three DC movies that Zack Snyder directed, Man of Steel, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, and Zack Snyder's Justice League (the "Snyder Cut" that Zack Snyder fans actively campaigned for online). Even if we're probably never going to get a continuation of this universe, despite what Daniel Dami Biu thinks and keeps saying in his videos whenever he talks about DC (which is most of the time since mostly focuses on DC), and even if we do, I still probably won't watch it because I've sworn off superheroes, and my interest in them has completely diminished. 
 
The biggest difference between the version of that review that you'll find on DeviantART compared to the one you'll find on my blog is that one on my blog has a foreword that I wrote to provide context, and to tell the reader that this is an older review that I originally wrote for DeviantART and am just reposting on here, and isn't a completely brand new post. And also give some updated thoughts on the movie, show, or game that I reviewed, especially if it's been awhile since I wrote that review, which it had for all the DeviantART reviews I reposted on here. I reposted a lot more stuff from DeviantART on here when I first started out on this blog, mostly so that I could actually have something on the blog and I could pump out as many posts as possible within a single month with little time or effort, but recently, I've shifted away from just doing reposts to doing more new and original posts created specifically for the blog. Just like the one you're reading right now. 
 
I will still repost old stuff here and there, but I think as the years go by, just reposting something and putting a foreword on top of it won't be enough anymore. It would be best to just revisit these topics with some updated opinions, and write something new. I'm thinking of remaking reviews that I didn't post on DeviantART but did write before I started this blog, like the Godzilla (1998) and Michael Bay Transformers reviews. I'm thinking re-reviewing all of those movies, starting with Godzilla (1998) since Godzilla's on my mind lately, and the next MonsterVerse movie, Godzilla x Kong: Supernova is right around the corner. It comes out in March next year, the same month that the previous film, Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire came out in 2024 (March seems to be the sweet spot for the MonsterVerse as there is a distinct lack of competition during that month and time of year, spring πŸƒ), and it's still September now at the time of me writing this. That's not that far away, it's only a few months away, once we hit December we'll even closer to March 2027, and by then, the marketing campaign for Supernova will have truly kicked into high gear. 
 
That's the real movie I'm excited for, not Avengers: Doomsday, which comes out this December. And if you want to count the Minus movies by Takashi Yamazaki, then Godzilla Minus Zero is even closer than even Supernova is, since that movie comes out this November, and has a lot of hype surrounding it from the monumental success and critical acclaim for the first Minus movie, Godzilla Minus One, which came out in 2023, the year before The New Empire. It became the first Godzilla movie to be ever nominated and win an Oscar. Granted, it was only for Best Visual Effects and nothing else despite how critically acclaimed it was, but that's still something. A Godzilla movie hadn't even been nominated for an Oscar before that. The fact that it got nominated and won for any anything is an accomplishment in and of itself. It definitely helped elevate the status of the franchise to a level it hadn't before. 
 
So it is a pretty good time to talk about Godzilla stuff. A much better time to talk about Godzilla than to talk about Transformers, that franchise is dead in the water πŸ’¦. There hasn't been anything new out of that franchise since Transformers One, which came out in 2024. There hasn't been any news regarding that Transformers movie that Michael Bay was supposed hired to come back and direct. I don't know if that's still happening, or if any of the other Transformers film projects that were announced are actually still happening. Transformers One bombed πŸ’£. It came right after Transformers: Rise of the Beasts, which was in and of itself, a box office disappointment, and received mixed reviews, with even Transformers fans (even the ones who liked Bumblebee 🐝) souring on the film, especially in the years after it was released. 
 
The double whammy of those two movies' box office disappointment and outright failure, in the case of Transformers One, has set the franchise back years, and it's still uncertain if it'll truly recover. If anything Paramount does or will do will truly save the franchise, or if it is truly dead. Like G.I. Joe, although at least we know something's coming for that franchise, and we have a lot more information about that than the supposed sixth Michael Bay Transformers movie that's in the works. To be clear, I don't mean that this supposed in-developed Michael Bay Transformers movie is not going to be another sequel in that same series we've been following since 2007 and ended unceremoniously in 2017. It's not going to continue on from the events of Transformers: The Last Knight, it's likely going to be a reboot. What I mean is that it'll be the sixth Transformers movie that Michael Bay has directed, if it gets made ☝️. 
 
We know that this in-development G.I. Joe is being written by none other than Danny McBride, the comedic actor who was in Tropic Thunder, playing the pyrotechnics guy ♂︎, Alien: Covenant, playing the character, Tennessee (yes that really is the character's name, just like The Predator had a character named Nebraska) and is a frequent collaborator of Seth Rogen's, and took a turn into more serious work by co-writing the recent Halloween πŸŽƒ movies directed by David Gordon Green. We know it'll probably be a reboot, having no connection to the previous live action G.I. Joe movies, and it won't have any connection to Rise of the Beasts, which notoriously teased a crossover with G.I. Joe at the very end (something that was mocked and criticized at the time of its release and in the years that followed). Meaning Lorenzo di Bonaventura won't get that Transformers/G.I. Joe crossover movie that he evidently was trying to get off the ground. He was a producer on both franchise, he co-produced all of the live action Transformers and G.I. Joe movies that have been made so far. So it does make sense why he would want a crossover between those two franchises. Danny McBride is a self proclaimed G.I. Joe fan, claiming to be into it more than Star Wars, so we'll see where that goes, I hope it's good 🀷‍♂️. 
 
But the reason why I'm going to re-reviewing the Michael Bay Transformers movie, as well as reviewing Transformers (2007) for the first time is that next year will be the 20th anniversary of Transformers (2007), the one that kicked off the live action side of the franchise. So it'll be the perfect time to talk about Transformers as well, even if there's really nothing new coming out of the Transformers franchise, at least as far as the movies are concerned. It won't technically the first time I've reviewed that movie since I reviewed the 2007 Transformers movie in a video I did on my previous YouTube channel before the one I'm currently using, The Sci-Fi Dragon. But it'll be the first time that I've written a review for that movie, and posted it online in written form, rather than making it into a video for YouTube. It's actually fitting that bring this up. It may not seem like it on the face of it, but it is. You know, a project in a longstanding franchise written by unexpected and somewhat unorthodox writer who's an outsider to the franchise in question, and the fact that Michael Bay does actually have a connection to the Evangelion franchise. Not directly, but it is kind of an in-joke within the Evangelion fandom, and the anime community as a whole, that Michael Bay would direct an Evangelion movie. 
 
The premise of the joke being that Michael Bay's movies suck, and therefore an Evangelion movie directed by him would suck, just like those "god awful" Transformers movies he directed. This is obviously not an opinion that I share, but it is an opinion that's common on the Internet πŸ›œ, especially within geek circles, like the anime community and the Evangelion fandom more specifically. There's even an animated video on YouTube that parodies the idea of a Michael Bay directed Evangelion that purports to show what an Evangelion movie directed by him would be like. Which is mostly based off of misconceptions and straight up lies about Michael Bay's work, but it's sort of funny I guess 🀷‍♂️. You can watch it by clicking on the link πŸ”— that I provided to see for yourself.
 
And I want to have more Evangelion content on this blog, that Evangelion 3.0+1.0 review is really dedicated Evangelion related thing that I have on this blog, and I want to have at least one more ☝️ before this new series actually comes out. Whenever it comes out. Or at least before the next trailer drops, and we learn a lot more information than we currently know. I also want to have anime content on this blog, since I am an anime fan (I'm a pretty new anime fan, but still an anime fan), and my blog is seriously lacking in anime content. It's why I wrote that Cowboy Bebop (1998) review, which you should totally check BTW, you can go read it by clicking on the link πŸ”— I provided at the top. I already talked about this upcoming series before in a Community Post on YouTube, and I already gave my thoughts and my own speculation πŸ€” on it based on what this trailer showed. So, a lot of this is just going to reiterating what I said in that Community Post, which is useful for anyone who didn't read my Community Post on this topic. I wanted something quick and easy before the month ends, so let's go. 
 
The trailer in question doesn't really that much. It just shows shots of the post-apocalyptic landscape from the Evangelion 3.0: You Can (Not) Advance and the beginning of Evangelion 3.0+1.0, intercut with text that confirms who's working on this new show, like Yoko Taro, Keiichi Okabe, and Kazuya Tsurumaki and Toko Yatabe, who are the show's directors and have history with them both working on the Rebuild series. Although it doesn't specify what Tsurumaki worked on, it only says he worked on the "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition series," which is technically the official name of the Rebuild series, but no one in their right minds actually calls it that. While it specifies that Yatabe worked on Evangelion 3.0+1.0. But no one cares about them, even though they're going to be the show's directors, most people probably don't even know them by name. What they actually care about is that Yoko Taro and Keiichi Okabe are going to be working on it with Yoko Taro writing, and Keiichi Okabe composing the music. And they of course are the duo that brought us the Drakengard/Nier series. 
 
The games started out being called Drakengard, but then they started being called Nier right up until the most recent game, Nier Reincarnation, which is a mobile game, which came out in 2021, which was 5 years ago at this point. But, the game most people think of when they think of Nier is undoubtedly Nier: Automata, which came out in 2017, which was 9 years ago at this point. I've played Nier: Automata before, I've talked about it a little bit here on the blog. I never wrote any dedicated posts to it, but I have mentioned it and talked about it in the forewords of some of my reposts, as well as in some of my original posts. I don't remember exactly which ones, so I can't link πŸ”— any here, but I'm sure if you read my posts on here, you'll probably find a Nier: Automata somewhere if you look hard enough. Hell, you could just type in Nier: Automata in the search bar, and find a whole bunch of posts where it's mentioned. Also, Yoko Taro famously doesn't show his face in public, and wears a mask that resembles the character Emil's head and face to conceal his true identity, and he generally keeps his personal life pretty private and hasn't disclosed anything about his personal life to the public. Though looking at his Wikipedia page, we actually know a lot more about him and his early life than I was expecting.  
 
When I saw this trailer and I found out that they were making a new Evangelion series, I had mixed feelings about it to say the least, and I still have mixed feelings about it even now. I was upset that they were going to continue this franchise, and potentially ruin the perfect ending of Evangelion 3.0+1.0. I know a lot of people, especially Evangelion fans don't like that movie (or any of the Rebuild movies for that matter), and don't like the ending, but I thought it was the perfect ending, especially for Shinji. He finally got the happy ending he deserved, and Hideaki Anno gave the finger πŸ–• to all the Shinji x Asuka and Shinji x Rei shippers by having him end up with Mari, a character who no one expected to be the one to end up with Shinji in the end. A character, who in retrospect was designed to be the perfect girlfriend of Shinji. That's a win in my book πŸ‘. 
 
But, I'm really not surprised that they're continuing the franchise even though Evangelion 3.0+1.0 was supposed to be the end, the real ending for Evangelion this time, unlike The End of Evangelion movie, which Evangelion 3.0+1.0 was supposed to be the antithesis of (especially in terms of the ending), and was marketed as such. Evangelion is a cash cow πŸ„πŸ’΄, especially in Japan πŸ‡―πŸ‡΅, they merchandised the shit out of it in Japan πŸ‡―πŸ‡΅. It's merchandised as much there as Star Wars is here in America πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ. You could make the argument that Evangelion is kind of the Japanese equivalent to Star Wars, this big franchise that has stranglehold over pop culture, and whose presence in the zeitgeist is omnipresent. Red Bard made whole video demonstrating how much Evangelion merchandise there is in Japan πŸ‡―πŸ‡΅ by showing that you could theoretically life off of Evangelion merchandise. 
 
So, of course they're not just going to end it all with Evangelion 3.0+1.0, they'll going to keep milking this franchise as long as possible πŸ₯›. Evangelion 3.0+1.0 may be the last Evangelion thing that Hideaki Anno ever works on (as he gets older and heads closer to retirement), but it won't be the last Evangelion thing period. There will be plenty of others, and there will be plenty without Anno's involvement at all, including this series. Anno doesn't seem to much involvement in this upcoming series at all, at least on the creative side of things. He may be an executive producer on the series but that's probably about it, had no hand in writing or directing it. He probably just signed off on it and gave it his stamp of approval, like "yeah, go ahead and make this," if that. Probably the only reason he'd still be credited as executive producer, if that, is that he's the creator of the whole franchise, he created Evangelion. He's the reason why they'll all here and why they're doing this. Which is more than what George Lucas got when he sold Lucasfilm and all of its assets to Disney. He didn't get to be an executive producer on any of the Star Wars or Indiana Jones movies made under Disney. I would've had him on, if it were up to me. 
 
I wonder how Evangelion fans will feel once we do start getting Evangelion stuff without Anno's direct creative involvement, starting with this series. It'll be a lot like having Star Wars without George Lucas, to continue that Star Wars analogy, and we all know how Star Wars fans ultimately felt about that. They started out cheering that he was gone, and then once they got the movies without him, then they started missing him and wishing that he never sold the franchise to Disney. While some fans have more or less accepted the fact that George Lucas isn't involved in Star Wars anymore and never will be again, others haven't and still lament his absence, seeing that as the biggest reason why Star Wars is the way it is right now. Or to use to a James Bond comparison since I'm starting to get into James Bond, it'll be a lot like having James Bond without the Broccolis or Michael G. Wilson, who is a member of the Broccoli family. He's the half brother of Barbara Broccoli and his stepfather is Albert R. "Cubby" Broccoli, the first co-producer of the Bond series along with Harry Saltzman. Bond 26 has yet to come out and probably won't be out until 2028 (since they won't start shooting until some time in 2027), but there are already Bond fans expecting the worst now that the franchise is fully owned by Amazon. 
 
I'm also not entirely sure how I feel about Yoko Taro being the one to write this series because while I did like Neir: Automata, I enjoyed the majority of the game, I absolutely hated the endings. All of them. They were all pretty underwhelming to me, and ruined what was otherwise a fun, if a bit difficult, game πŸ˜’. A bad ending, or ending you don't like, can really ruin something that you otherwise enjoy. That's why I haven't revisited Nier: Automata recently, not that I revisit games that often. None of the games I have I've revisited, except for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe 🏎️, Nickelodeon Kart Racers 3: Slime Speedway, and the Resident Evil games, particularly Resident Evil 5 (mainly for its Mercenaries mode). Games that don't really have stories. Anything that has a story and is a long term investment, I haven't revisited. Even though I've revisited Resident Evil 5 more than a few times, I haven't played the campaign in a long time, and have just stuck to the Mercenaries mode because the Mercenaries mode doesn't have a story and doesn't require a long term commitment like the campaign does. You just play it, and then leave once the timer's up. Hopefully you've killed enough enemies to get a good score like an A, S, or SS rank. 
 
But, the specific reason why I haven't returned to Nier: Automata is the story, and knowing how it ends, and how ultimately, everything you do in the game is for nothing. Like, that's a pretty good way to de-incentivize people to not play your game again. I'm not against dark endings, or disturbing endings, or depressing endings, or "challenging" endings, but none of the endings in Nier: Automata really did it for me. Like I said, they just made the game feel pointless to me, like everything I did in the game up to the point was for nothing, and I absolutely hate that feeling in a video game. When I play a game I like to feel like I'm actually accomplishing something and it'll actually lead to something meaningful, like it feels like I did something and all that time and effort I put into the game was worth it. None of the endings in Nier: Automata made me feel that way. I understand that I'm probably in the minority on this, and that a lot of people think that this game is a masterpiece, but that's how I feel. I make no apologies for it. 
 
So knowing Yoko Taro is going to write this new Evangelion series has me a bit worried, especially in terms of how it's going to end. He's the master of unsatisfying endings. But at least, we know that Keiichi Okabe is going to compose the music, so at least we know the music will be good. Even if the story ends up complete dogshit. The music is one aspect of Nier: Automata that I had no complaints about, and return to quite often. The music in that game is absolutely breathtaking, and does get you hyped. I know I was hyped during gameplay. My favorite tracks include "Peaceful Sleep 😴," Memories of Dust," "Amusement Park," "End of the Unknown," and "Forest Kingdom." The fact that Keiichi Okabe is composing the music for this series means that it'll be the first Evangelion project to not be composed Shiro Sagisu (or feature any music by him), who's been on the franchise since the very beginning with Neon Genesis Evangelion. 
 
He composed the music for that series, and many of the tracks he composed became iconic, like the opening theme, "The Cruel Angel's Thesis." If Hideaki Anno was the George Lucas of the Evangelion franchise, then Shiro Sagisu was definitely the John Williams of the Evangelion franchise. So his absence will be a lot of John Williams's absence from the most recent Star Wars projects. Of course, his absence will mean we will get different sounding music from here on out, a greater variety of music within the Evangelion franchise. Just like we've been getting in the Star Wars franchise, like Ludwig GΓΆransson's score for The Mandalorian and Grogu was completely different from anything John Williams composed in the Skywalker Saga films. It was a lot more synthy, especially in the parts of the movie set on Shakari. The music during those parts of the movie gave it almost a Blade Runner vibe, which fits in with the cyberpunk visuals of those scenes. 
 
As long as this new series doesn't ruin the perfect ending of Evangelion 3.0+1.0, and isn't yet another retelling of the same story we've been seeing for three decades now, including in video games. A lot of the video games that have been made of Evangelion have all been retellings of the same story from Neon Genesis Evangelion. They play out slightly different, they may add or subtract characters, and they end differently, but ultimately it is still that same series from that initial series that started it all. This franchise hasn't really evolved or changed much at all, despite how big it is, and how omnipresent it is in Japanese pop culture πŸ‡―πŸ‡΅, and much stuff there is within it. Then I'm good πŸ‘. That may seem counterintuitive that I just lamented how this franchise hasn't grown or changed, or evolved over the past few decades, and has really been retreading the story and character beats that they've already explored before, while also saying I don't want the series to continue from where Evangelion 3.0+1.0 left off, but it does make sense. To me at least. 
 
I think a story that doesn't focus on Shinji, or any of the characters in his life, like Asuka, Rei, Mari, Gendo, Toji, Hikari, Kensuke, or any of the characters working at NERV, or Seele, or later WILLE, and is perhaps set in between Evangelion 2.0 and 3.0 or 3.0 and 3.0+1.0 would be good. Although a story that focused on Asuka and Mari and showed how they became friends during the time in between the second and third films, or even third and fourth film would be pretty good too. That's if this series is even set in the Rebuild continuity, which there isn't a guarantee that it does. We know so little about it at this point that it could really be anything. But if it is going to be set in the Rebuild universe, the Rebuild continuity, then I think that would be the best way to. Have a story set in-between the second film and third film, or third film and fourth film. That way you preserve the ending of Evangelion 3.0+1.0 and focus on a new story or character that has nothing to do with Shinji at all. Giving the images that they do show us show the world as it looked after the Third Impact, as seen in both 3.0 and 3.0+1.0, I think there's a good chance that's where they're going to go with this. But they also show us Eva Unit 01, or at least an Eva Unit that looks Eva Unit 01 (there were so many Eva Units that looked like Eva Unit 01 in 3.0+1.0, it was hard to keep track of them and know which one was which because they looked the same) at the very end, so I don't know 🀷‍♂️. I hope it's good though. 
 
 
 
(This is yet another screenshot from the announcement trailer to the so-far untitled upcoming Evangelion series written by Yoko Taro.)
 
 
 
— 

 

 (This is the announcement trailer to the so-far untitled upcoming Evangelion series written by Yoko Taro.) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Thoughts on "Ruby Gloom"

2025 New Year’s Eve Message

The New “Super Mario Galaxy Movie” Trailer Reveals A Lot + A Discussion on the Trailer to “Good Luck, Have Fun, Don’t Die”